Bee pollen is a superfood I’ve been experimenting with for years. I typically add it to my smoothies as a crunchy topper.
Pollen is the male seed of flowers that is necessary for the plant to reproduce. It is gathered by honeybees and brought back to their hive. Bee keepers are able to harvest this pollen without harming the bees.
Bee pollen is one of the most complete foods found in nature and is made up of approximately 40% protein (it’s a complete protein containing all 22 essential amino acids). Some of the other nutrients found in bee pollen include vitamins B, C, E and D; carotenes; enzymes; essential fatty acids; polysaccharides and steroid hormone substances. It is also an abundant source of minerals and trace minerals.
When purchasing bee pollen look for a product where the pellets are a variety of colours. This means the pollen comes from a variety of sources and it will contain a broader range of nutrients.
Here are 8 health benefits of bee pollen:
1. It is loaded with antioxidants which can neutralize free radicals in your body.
2. Bee pollen contains a great deal of Rutin (a bioflavonoid/super-antioxidant) which can strengthen blood vessels and help with circulation. It also deters blood from clotting which can help prevent a heart attack or stroke.
3. Bee pollen improves exercise performance by increasing speed, endurance, energy and strength.
4. The enzymes in bee pollen can aid in digestion.
5. It improves fertility (stimulates/restores ovarian function) and is a potent aphrodisiac.
6. Bee pollen is loaded with B vitamins which make you more resilient to mental stress.
7. It can help relieve benign prostate hyperplasia in men.
8. Taking bee pollen can neutralize many allergies by reducing the production of histamine.
Here is a list of ways you can include bee pollen into your diet:
- Blend it into smoothies or use it as a topper for your blended drinks.
- It can be added to homemade trail mix.
- Use in raw desserts.
- Sprinkle bee pollen over your salads, yogurt or oatmeal.
- Take it in a capsule.
If you’ve never tried bee pollen, start off by eating a single pellet to test and see if you are allergic.
As you can see, bee pollen is a potent superfood that has an array of health benefits. Give it a try and share your experiences below.
To your health!