In today’s world toxins are everywhere. Some of these toxins include heavy metals (vehicle exhaust), pesticides, polychlorinated biphenyls/PCBs (industrial chemicals), fertilizers and phthalates (household plastics). Large amounts of stress hormones in the body also produce toxins. The body is able to detoxify itself of toxins to a point but when a certain threshold is surpassed disease can occur.
Here is a list of 8 natural ways to help your body detoxify:
1. Eat plenty of organic fruits and vegetables – These foods have a low toxic load which allows for the body to dispose of toxins it has accumulated through other means. Some specific foods that help with detoxification include greens (spinach, kale etc.), garlic, citrus fruits and omega-3 oils.
2. Keep bowel movements regular – The longer the remnants of digestion sit in your system the more toxins you will absorb back into your body.
3. Dry skin brushing – Incorporate dry skin brushing into your morning routine to keep the skin from becoming clogged with debris – dead skin cells and cosmetics. This allows toxins to leave the body as you sweat.
4. Drink plenty of filtered water throughout the day – Being properly hydrated helps your system flush out toxins.
5. Sweat it out in the sauna – Perspiration helps detoxify the body.
6. Exercise regularly – Breathing, sweating and circulation are all increased during exercise which help support detoxification.
7. Hot and cold therapy – During a hot shower switch the water to as cold as you can stand it for 30 seconds. Do this every few minutes and make sure the cold water makes contact with your whole body. This therapy also has many other health benefits which I will cover in a separate blog post in the future.
8. Maintain excellent liver health – The liver is a major detoxifying organ of the body. Herbs such as milk thistle, dandelion root and green tea will help protect and cleanse the liver.
Start by incorporating a couple of the ideas into your daily routine and help your body detoxify naturally. Best of luck!
In the comments section share your favourite way to help naturally detoxify your body.
To your health!